Women in Film 2018: Collective Power ran at Objectifs from 10 to 13 Oct 2018 with the Singapore premiere of four international feature films, each followed by post-screening discussions.
Read our recaps here:
- Filmmaker Chen-Hsi Wong and social justice advocate Christina Liew on On Her Shoulders
- Writers Alfian Sa’at and Balli Kaur Jaswal on Waru
- Film programmers Aishah Abu Bakar and Leong Puiyee on Ava
- Filmmaker Jasmine Ng and AWARE Singapore’s Laura Meehan on A Better Man
Presented by Objectifs
Chapel Gallery, Objectifs
10 to 13 Oct 2018
Admission: $8 per screening / $25 for season pass
$6 for Singapore Film Society members and Students
Please note that you may be asked to present your membership card / student ID at the screening venue.
Buy tickets via Peatix
Women in Film is part of Objectifs’ annual Women in Film and Photography showcase. With the backdrop of collective movements like #MeToo and #TimesUp gaining momentum in the past year, the fourth edition of this programme takes on the theme of collective power.
The Women in Film 2018 programme presents the Singapore premieres of four international feature films and a free short film programme that demonstrate both the potential and perils of community and visibility, and the triumph that collective power makes possible. Curated by Leong Puiyee.
Click on the links below to find out more about each film and to purchase individual tickets ($8 each) or a Season Pass at $25 to watch the following four films. Each film is followed by a post-screening discussion that, in the spirit of this year’s theme of collective power, seeks to foster conversation about the issues depicted and to consider them in a local context as well.
Wed 10 Oct, 7.30pm
Post-screening discussion with Christina Liew and Chen-Hsi Wong
· Won – Sundance Film Festival, Directing Award: U.S. Documentary
· Won – Hot Docs 2018, Docs for Schools Student Choice Award and Top Ten Audience Favourite
Thurs 11 Oct, 7.30pm
Post-screening discussion with Balli Kaur Jaswal & Alfian Sa’at
· Screened – New Zealand International Film Festival 2017
· Screened – Toronto International Film Festival 2017
Fri 12 Oct, 7.30pm
Post-screening discussion with Leong Puiyee & Aishah Abu Bakar
· Won – Toronto International Film Festival 2017, Discovery Award (FIPRESCI Prize)
· Screened – Film Society of Lincoln Centre, New Directors New Films 2018
Sat 13 Oct 7.30pm
PG13 (Consumer Advice: SOME COARSE LANGUAGE 些许粗俗语言)
Post-screening discussion with Jasmine Ng and Laura Meehan
· Won – Hot Docs 2017, Top Twenty Audience Favourite
· Official Selection – DOC NYC
$25 for all 4 screenings
5 to 28 Oct, 12pm to 7pm (On loop)
View the full Women in Film & Photography 2018 programme here.
WOMEN IN FILM & PHOTOGRAPHY 2018 SHOWCASE PROGRAMME
:: Exhibition: 5 Oct to 18 Nov 2018
:: Guided photographer & curator tour: 5 Oct, Fri, 6pm to 7pm
:: Artist talk I: 6 Oct, Sat, 2pm to 4pm
:: Artist talk II: 6 Oct, Sat, 4pm to 6pm
:: Slideshow Projection featuring Women Photograph: 8 Nov, Thu, 730pm to 9pm
:: Short Film Screening: 5 Oct to 28 Oct, 12pm to 7pm, Lower Gallery
:: Women in Film 2018 (10 to 13 Oct, 730pm)