Supporting new curatorial approaches to image-based work
Deadline: 14 Feb 2020
Curator Open Call invites Singapore-based curators to submit proposals for an exhibition to be realised at the Chapel Gallery, Objectifs. This is part of our ongoing effort to broaden perspectives by supporting curatorial research and innovative ways of presenting image-based work.
The successful proposal will receive:
- A curator honorarium of SGD$1,000
- A production budget of up to SGD $8,000
- Curatorial and production guidance, administrative and marketing support from Objectifs
The show will be presented between July to September 2020, at the Chapel Gallery for a period of up to 6 weeks.
Deadline for applications is 14 February 2020 (11.59PM SGT).
The applications will be reviewed by a selection panel and Objectifs. The panelists are:
- Siddharta Perez, Curator, NUS Museum
- Jason Wee, Founder and Director of Grey Projects
More about the selection panel here.
WHO CAN APPLY
- The main applicant must be a curator who is either a Singaporean or a Singapore Permanent Resident.
- The curators must be based in Singapore up to 3 months before the opening of the show, and must be present for its installation and de-installation.
- We welcome proposals from curatorial teams or collaborations with curators of other nationalities/based overseas.
- Artists may apply as curators, only as part of a group show or as a curator for another artist’s work.
WHAT TO CONSIDER IN YOUR PROPOSAL
- At least 50% of the works must be either photo or film based.
- At least 50% of the artists proposed must be either Singaporean or Singapore Permanent Residents. We understand that the line up may change in the planning of the show, but encourage curators to submit their most realistic list.
- The proposed show must not have been presented before.
- The proposal must include plans for at least two public programmes. These can include artist/curator talks, panel discussions, screenings and performances.
- Extra consideration will be given to proposals with a creative approach to curatorial research or that respond to contemporary issues or concerns.
- Apart from the Chapel Gallery, applicants may also consider utilising outdoor spaces such as the Objectifs courtyard.
Selection will be based on the artistic and intellectual merit of each applicant’s project. We will also consider the feasibility of presenting the show between July to September 2020. Shortlisted applicants may be contacted to refine their proposals or answer specific questions from the selection panel about their project. Successful recipients will be contacted by early March 2020.
Applicants must submit the following documents in PDF.
- A 100 word summary of the proposed project
- A detailed statement about the concept of the exhibition (no longer than 500 words)
- A list of proposed artists and short bios for each
- CV of the curator/curating team
- A completed budget worksheet (please download template here)
- Work samples
– At least 4 images per artist must be submitted. Where the work is yet to be created, please submit a short statement outlining the concept and images of past work and sample images for context.
– For video or sound work, please provide URL links and passwords where required