10 sessions (29h instruction time + final screening)
$875 (Eligible for use of SkillsFuture Credit)
18 Jul to 26 Sept 2018 (Group E), by Ric Aw, Pok Yue Weng & Wong Kin Ching
This workshop is currently full with a waitlist. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to be informed if a slot should open up, and to receive priority registration when new dates are confirmed.
For those who aspire to be filmmakers, this workshop gives you a head start as you learn how to plan, direct, shoot and edit a short film.
Digital Filmmaking is an introduction to the creative and technical aspects of filmmaking for first-time filmmakers. Participants will learn storyboarding, creating a shooting script, production management, casting, directing, working on a crew, cinematography, lighting, sound and finally editing. The workshop includes on-location hands-on camera work and consultation, as participants work together in teams to complete individual short films. We will also review examples of different genres of films, including narrative, documentary and experimental, drawing inspiration from short films and features made locally and internationally.
Participants will use a prosumer HD video camera and Final Cut Pro X editing software in this class.
There will be a screening of films by the class which is open to friends and family at the end of the workshop.
• The basis of filmmaking: Storytelling
• Imagery: Still and moving images
• Pre-production / production / post-production
• Introduction to crew and their roles and responsibilities
• Overview ofscriptwriting
• Visualising / storyboarding
• Pre-production: Script / casting / location / sets / wardrobe / scheduling
• In-class discussion and project time
• Director’s craft: interpreting a script and planning for actors
• Preparing an action plan
• Camera handling
• Composition and framing
• Visual aesthetics
• Basic sound and lighting
• Finalising pre-production plans for shoot
• In-class practice shoot
• Participants will work in groups to shoot their individual films, taking turns to assist one another
• Introduction to the concept of editing
• Introduction to Final Cut Pro
• Basic editing tools
• Digitising your footage
• Art of editing
• Advanced editing tools
• Basic sound editing
• Using music
• Video filters and effects
• Adding titles
• Basic colour correction
• Outputting your film
• Participants to invite friends and families for a final class screening
- Scriptwriting: Explore the craft of writing a short film script in greater depth.
- Independent Film Producing: Learn about a producer’s role and how to do it well.
Workshop fee: $875 (Eligible for use of SkillsFuture Credit)
None. Participants will have access to use a prosumer HD camera and audio equipment on loan from Objectifs for their shoots, with free access to our digital lab (subject to availability and selected timeslots) to edit their films on Final Cut Pro X during the workshop.
GROUP E: 18 Jul to 26 Sept 2018
Please note that this is a very hands-on workshop. Participants’ learning will be maximised and most effective — and they’ll have the most fun! — if they are able to make all (or most) of the sessions, and will be able to shoot their short films during the period indicated in the schedule below.
As the workshop is repeated several times a year, participants may wish to register for a future round if they already know they may miss several lessons during this period. Make-up lessons and refunds are not offered for sessions missed.
#1 Wed 18 Jul, 7.30pm – 10pm
#2 Wed 25 Jul, 7.30pm – 10pm
#3 Wed 1 Aug, 7pm – 10pm
#4 Wed 8 Aug, 7pm – 10pm
#5 Sat 11 Aug, 10am – 5pm (Full-day hands-on session in which participants will practise shooting a short film script, taking on different roles such as director, cinematographer, actors, audio crew, etc.)
(Two week break during which participants will work in groups to shoot individual short films in their own time)
#6 Wed 29 Aug, 7pm – 10pm
#7 Wed 5 Sept, 7pm – 10pm
#8 Wed 12 Sept, 7pm – 10pm
#9 Wed 19 Sept, 7pm – 10pm
(Two week break during which participants will edit their short films in their own time, with access to Objectifs’ computer lab and editing software)
#10 Wed 26 Sept, 7.30pm – 9.30pm (Screening)