Photographs of 1960s and 1970s Singapore by Lim Kwong Ling
Portrait of Home, a new photobook of works by 87-year-old Lim Kwong Ling, will be launched today by Objectifs Centre for Photography and Film. Purchase it on our webstore here.
Following his successful solo exhibition of the same title at Objectifs in 2019, Portrait of Home compiles more than 60 black-and-white photographs by Lim, a veteran of the Singapore salon and art photography scene of post-independence Singapore in the 1960s and 1970s.
Taken in the then-popular pictorialist and modernist styles, Lim’s photographs of landscapes, people’s lives by the coast, children, people at work, night scenes and family photos tell the story of one man’s bond with a rapidly changing country.
Other highlights of the hardcover book include:
- Photographs not previously seen in the Portrait of Home exhibition
- Essays by heritage blogger Jerome Lim, writer Zhuang Wubin, visual artist Charles Lim, Portrait of Home exhibition curator Ryan Chua and Lim’s grandson Maximilian Lim
- Quotes from Lim, his children, and friends featured in his photographs
- A special selection of Lim’s own family photos
Book Launch Promotion: 20% Discount now till 30 Jun, 2359h
Portrait of Home will retail at S$50.00 but a 20% discount will apply on purchases made via Objectifs’ web store till 30 Jun, 2359h.
Purchase the book now at www.objectifs.com.sg/product/portrait-of-home.
Share your reflections and reviews with us on social media with the hashtag #ObjectifsPortraitOfHome and tag us at @objectifscentre!
#ObjectifsPortraitOfHome Social Media Contest: On now till 23 Jun, 2359h
What does a “portrait of home” look like to you? Share your images on Facebook and Instagram with the hashtag #ObjectifsPortraitOfHome and stand to win one of three Portrait of Home book + postcard set bundles in our contest judged by Lim Kwong Ling himself!
- Share your photo on Facebook and / or Instagram with the hashtag #ObjectifsPortraitOfHome. Your Facebook post and / or Instagram account need to be public.
- Follow us at facebook.com/objectifscentre and / or instagram.com/objectifscentre and tag us in your post.
- This contest will run from 2 Jun 2020, 10am to 23 Jun 2020, 2359h. Multiple entries are welcome.
- Please respect all current Covid-19 related safe-distancing measures while shooting your measures.
- Participants retain rights to their images. Participants grant Objectifs permission to share their images on Objectifs’ social media with credit.
The publication of Portrait of Home is supported by the Our Singapore Fund, the National Heritage Board and the National Arts Council.
SUPPORT OBJECTIFSMAKE A DONATION
The work at Objectifs continues behind the scenes during the COVID-19 period. As a non-profit arts organisation, we count on donations to enable us to support the arts community, and to keep creating programmes that broaden perspectives and inspire people through the power of images.
We are an Institution of Public Character (IPC) status. As such, your donations will qualify for a 250% tax deduction for the year 2020. Your contribution will also be eligible for the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth’s Cultural Matching Fund, that provides a dollar-for-dollar match for cash donations to arts and heritage charities. Thank you for supporting our work!