Submission Deadline: 21 May 2021
Women photographers, filmmakers and visual artists who use film or photography, are invited to submit work for Objectifs’ 6th Women in Film & Photography Showcase. Selected work will be part of the print exhibition, slideshow/video installation, artist talks or screenings at Objectifs (Singapore) from Nov to Dec 2021.
The Women in Film & Photography Showcase at Objectifs is a tribute to the artists, photographers and filmmakers who have created works that tell stories with impact, break boundaries and inspire us.
Our theme this year is INHERITANCE.
Exploring notions of inherited identities and traditions, familial connections and stories, intergenerational memories and scars, public and private histories — Inheritance seeks to understand who we are. We are interested in work that interrogate these varied ideas and broaden our scope for dialogue.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
1. Photo essays or photo based work of any genre, based on the theme of Inheritance. Completed bodies of work or ongoing projects are both acceptable, and can be from any year of production. Selected work may be presented in a group print exhibition or slideshow presentation.
Short films or video art (below 30min) of any genre, based on the theme of Inheritance. Works should be 30 min and below in duration and available for screening in a digital file format, and can be from any year of production. Selected work may be presented in a group screening or video installation.
2. Our focus this year is on work from Southeast Asia, East Asia (China, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau) and South Asia (Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bhutan, Nepal, and the Maldives).
We welcome applicants who are from these countries to submit their work for consideration. Applicants who are not currently residing in their native countries, may also submit their work for consideration.
3. We welcome work from artists who identify as female, and non-binary individuals.
4. Selection of works will be made by Women in Film & Photography programme curators Emmeline Yong and Leong Puiyee. Selection will be based on how the work relates to the theme, and how it resonates with other projects that are chosen. We will also consider the feasibility of presenting the work in our galleries. Selected work will be part of the print exhibition, slideshow installation, artist talks or screenings at Objectifs.
KEY SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- A summary of the project (up to 250 words).
- Artist bio (up to 180 words).
- i) FOR PHOTO ESSAYS/PHOTO BASED WORKS: URL to an online gallery (e.g. Facebook album, Photoshelter, Googledrive, or a dedicated page on your website etc) and not download links (e.g. wetransfer)
ii) FOR SHORT FILMS/VIDEO ART: Please provide the URL to preview the work (e.g. YouTube, Vimeo or other video viewing platforms), and not download links. *Please include the passwords for any private views.
SUBMISSION TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. There is no entry fee. If the applicant’s work is selected, Objectifs will undertake the printing and exhibition production costs.
2. Applicants may submit more than one project for consideration, but must submit each project as a separate application.
3. Applications must be submitted electronically by 21 May 2021 (1159PM SGT). Incomplete or physical submissions will not be accepted. We will not accept any late applications after the deadline.
4. Objectifs’ selection decision is final. We regret that we are unable to provide feedback for applicants who are not selected for the showcase.
5. By submitting an entry, an applicant warrants and represents that any intellectual property are original to them, and that they have the rights granted for the work, that here have been no prior transfer of the rights to the images and that the publication of the images will not infringe upon any other person’s copyright or other rights. The applicant agrees to indemnify and hold Objectifs harmless from any liability, loss cost and expense (including legal fees) arising from any breach of the foregoing warrants, due to or arising out of the applicant’s submission materials.