Introduction to the Filmmaker's Journey
This workshop is currently full. Please refer back to our website for new dates soon.
You can also email us at email@example.com and we will add you to our waitlist.
For those who aspire to be filmmakers, this workshop gives you a head start as you learn how to plan, direct, shoot and edit a short film.
Digital Filmmaking is an introduction to the creative and technical aspects of filmmaking for first-time filmmakers. Participants will learn storyboarding, creating a shooting script, production management, casting, directing, working on a crew, cinematography, lighting, sound and finally editing. The workshop includes on-location hands-on camera work and consultation, as participants work together in teams to complete individual short films. We will also review examples of different genres of films, including narrative, documentary and experimental, drawing inspiration from short films and features made locally and internationally.
Participants will use a prosumer HD video camera and Final Cut Pro X editing software in this class.
There will be a screening of films by the class which is open to friends and family at the end of the workshop.
• The basis of filmmaking: Storytelling
• Imagery: Still and moving images
• Pre-production / production / post-production
• Introduction to crew and their roles and responsibilities
• Introduction to scriptwriting
• Visualising / storyboarding
• Script / casting / location / sets / wardrobe / scheduling
• Camera handling
• Composition and framing
• Visual aesthetics
• Basic sound and lighting
• Finalising pre-production plans for shoot
• In-class practice shoot
• Participants will work in groups to shoot their individual films, taking turns to assist one another
• Introduction to the concept of editing
• Introduction to Final Cut Pro
• Basic editing tools
• Digitising your footage
• Putting it together
• Class consultation
• Finding stories in your environment
• Art of editing
• Advanced editing tools
• Basic sound editing
• Using music
• Video filters and effects
• Adding titles
• Basic colour correction
• Outputting your film
• Participants to invite friends and families for a final class screening
Workshop fee: $875
None. Participants will have access to use a prosumer HD camera and audio equipment on loan from Objectifs for their shoots, with free access to our digital lab (subject to availability and selected timeslots) to edit their films on Final Cut Pro X during the workshop.